Tooth stains can be frustrating to have, as they can detract from the appearance of your smile. At South Hill Comprehensive Dentistry, we understand the importance of a bright, confident smile. In this article, we’ll explore some of the causes of tooth stains, effective measures to remove them, and other preventative measures you can take to maintain your healthy smile.
How to Remove and Prevent Tooth Discoloration
Understanding the causes of tooth stains can help you prevent them and allow you to choose the most appropriate treatment options. There are two types of tooth stains that people experience, and they include:
- Extrinsic Stains: Extrinsic or outer stains occur on the teeth’s surface and are considered easier to remove. They’re often caused by external factors, such as:
- Food and Drinks: Dark-colored foods and drinks such as coffee, tea, berries, and tomato sauce can easily contribute to these stains.
- Tobacco Use: Smoking or chewing tobacco cause yellow and brown stains on the teeth.
- Poor Oral Hygiene: Poor brushing and flossing cause plaque to occur on the teeth, causing the teeth to discolor over time.
- Intrinsic Stains: These stains develop beneath the enamel and are more difficult to remove. They’re normally caused by internal factors such as:
- Aging: Our enamel wears down as we age, causing the teeth to gradually yellow underneath.
- Certain Medications: Some medications, including tetracycline and other antibiotics, can cause intrinsic stains to develop.
- Dental Trauma: Any injuries to the teeth can cause the teeth to discolor over time due to extensive damage to the teeth.
Effective methods are available to help remove these types of stains and help restore their natural whiteness. Some treatment options to consider for your teeth include:
- Professional Teeth Whitening: For deep intrinsic stains that can’t go away with regular brushing and flossing, professional teeth whitening can help lighten your teeth up by a few shades and reduce the appearance of your tooth stains. In-office and at-home whitening methods can help brighten your smile without harming your teeth.
- Dental Cleanings: Regular dental cleanings can help keep the stains away for good! During these visits, your dental hygienist will remove the extrinsic stains from your mouth and leave your teeth looking cleaner and brighter.
- At-Home Remedies: There are also a few at-home methods that can work to help keep your teeth stain-free. Some include brushing your teeth with a small amount of baking soda to gently remove the stains, using coconut oil to reduce plaque buildup, and using antiseptic mouthwash to minimize tooth stains.
Visit South Hill Comprehensive Dentistry For a Dental Cleaning!
If you’re struggling with tooth stains or want a whiter smile, contact South Hill Comprehensive Dentistry in Spokane, WA, today. Our skilled team of dentists can provide personalized treatment options and guide you toward maintaining a bright, healthy smile. Regular dental check-ups, proper oral hygiene, and mindful food and drink choices can help prevent tooth discoloration and preserve your pearly whites. So, call (509) 747-8779 to speak with Dr. Ulysses Vargas about your oral health.